Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ring in the New Year with a Smoothie!

Happy 2013 everyone!  Can you feel the collective sigh and the shifting of energies now that 2012 is behind us? It was a high energy year with numerous lessons to be learned on many levels individually, locally, nationally and globally.  There has been a bursting forth of so much knowledge and it has felt at times hectic, urgent, thrilling, frightening and like one big adventure ride.  There have been many good things that have been gleaned personally and for all of humanity despite the pain experienced by so many of us..... The good news is that amazing growth comes out of the exploration and experience of our shadow side.

The best thing that has happened to me this year by far has been my decision to enroll in school at Institute of Integrative Nutrition.  It has been an anchor for me and a vehicle for personal growth and also the deepening of my education in Holistic Nutrition and Health Coaching.  My ideas are endless and the possibilities unlimited....I  look forward to seeing what evolves for me, what I create but also where I am led.

My New Year's present to you......A smoothie recipe.  I have been having fun with smoothies for many years but this last year I think there has been a smoothie revival!    I  must say I sure do look forward to my smoothie breaks.  I either take my break in the morning or mid afternoon when I'm really needing a pick me-up. Smoothies are really so forgiving and so is this recipe. Feel free to experiment and make your own delectable creations.  The big buzz these days is the Vitamix.....and I agree they are really sensational especially at $400. To be quite honest my humble blender at a fraction of that price has done the trick all these years and is still delivering the delicious goods!

Smoothies are a fun way to get some extra nutrition in. Sometimes you can throw in some ingredients that someone might think they don't like i.e. spinach or cilantro or probiotics or whatever (just don't tell them until after they try it and like it)...especially kids but even some picky adults.

There are many ways to make a smoothie and they come in many colors and I will post new recipes as I experiment.  Here is a recipe for a purple smoothie:

1/2 ripe banana
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup light coconut milk
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup water
1 Tbs almond butter
Whiz all in blender for a good minute.

Drink and enjoy!

For a printable version of this recipe click here


Let me know what you think of this smoothie.
I'd like to send out blessings to us one and all.  May this year be filled with many ways to nurture body, mind and spirit in love, light, peace and joy!


Lisa Olko RN is a Certified Health Coach and Lifestyle Educator, to read more about her and the services she offers visit her website.  To get a Free Health Consultation with Lisa click here.


No comments: