Friday, July 10, 2009

Summer Fun



Ah, the long  days of summer have arrived and with them the mode of  "fun in the sun", vacation time, time off, family reunions and the list goes on. Summer at the least conjures up fun and carefree memories of summers past,  mostly childhood  memories of happy summer days with no school, nonstop playing and absolute fun.



How many recent memories can you recall when you felt totally happy with no inhibitions whatsoever, thoroughly and hopelessly enjoying yourself with no thought of the past or future, and completely lost to the joy of the moment?  Recently (almost 2 months ago) I went out to dinner with 3 girlfriends.  I was feeling down during that time yet being in the company of these women friends changed my mood completely.  We laughed so hard that night that I literally felt as if I had come back to life.   When I got home I noticed my heart was beating with more vigor and it was as if all the cells in my body were vibrating from all the fun. It truly felt like my metabolism had sped up and that a distinct change had occured within me.  It is interesting to note that the word metabolism comes from the Greek and means "to change."




I talk alot about metabolism in my work promoting therapeutic lifestyle changes, especially in relationship to body composition and weight reduction and how increasing the metabolism helps burn fat.  It is fact that since muscle is the most metabolically active tissue in the body that increasing muscle mass is important in speeding the metabolism and  that a movement program is imperative to do just that.   But I had  this major  'aha' moment after my girlfriend evening when I felt the physical change in my metabolism simply by having fun!  This also made me think about kids and how their whole life revolves around having fun and most healthy kids have very active metabolisms.  Thus, having fun is absolutely essential to maintaining a healthy and lively metabolism.




I suggest that in the next few days that you take some time to become aware of the people, places, events and activities that quicken your metabolism.  Have you ever noticed feelings of anticipation when driving to a friend's house that you almost can't wait to get there? or how you can't wait to sit down and read the next delicious chapter in your book? or what about looking forward to......(fill in the blank)?   What things excite you and bring you feelings of joy and pleasant anticipation?





The other day my son and I had the loveliest summer afternoon visiting friends, offroading in my Kia, swimming in their pond, picking peaches, then driving home along the beautiful rolling countryside.  I came home that day so enlivened and with a brightly humming metabolism......and in my inbox there was a link to a recipe idea for baked peaches from my Italian cooking teacher.......how cool is that?





Lisa's Baked Peaches ( my version of hers)

medium firm ripe peaches, cut in half, pit removed
almonds, chopped fine
flaxmeal
vanilla or almond extract, dash
apple juice concentrate, to moisten
cinnamon
Mix the last five ingredients together.  Stuff and mound on peach halves.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes or until done.
Serve and enjoy!




Peach Salsa

2 ripe medium peaches, peeled
1 T olive oil
1 T fresh lime juice
1/4  finely chopped red onion
1/2  diced red or green pepper
1 T fresh cilantro
1 t finely minced jalapeno pepper (opt.)
1 t seasalt
fresh ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients and let marinate a few hours before serving. Serve over grilled fish, chicken,
lamb or enjoy with  black beans and other mexican recipes.


Will you take the challenge?
I  invite you to go a little deeper with the thrust of this post and I challenge you to use this metabolism quickening exercise as a way to sharpen your focus and clarify your goals....seeing them so crystal clear and making them so extremely desirable that you absolutely can not fail to achieve them.  Let me know what comes of this....... and I ask you also to consult the child within while taking this challenge....always and forever asking how can I have more fun?


The Hallmark card appropriately and fittingly  reads:
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"                                       Satchel Paige



                       Having fun in the sun,

                       Lisa




No comments: